Sociedad Amigos de Colombia was funded in 1984 in Indianapolis by Bill Hardy and the following members of the first Board of Directors, Lucy Romero, Clara Hernndez, Alicia Garca, Dorothy Serrano, Bertha Torres and Clara Urrea. Since its inception SADCO members have been very active in promoting Colombian culture through artistic and cultural presentations, and lectures.
“SADCO strives to create a caring community by drawing together Colombians and friends of Colombia in central Indiana with a desire to promote and preserve Colombian and Hispanic cultural heritage, and inspiring them to develop, organize, and carry out programs which contribute to the betterment of Hispanic people in Indiana and Colombia.”
Sociedad Amigos de Colombia, SADCO, is a solid organization of volunteers working together effectively in partnership with local, national and international organizations to support the following:
- Promote education and personal development
- Help integrate newcomers to the community
- Provide Colombians and Friends of Colombia with a friendly, family-oriented environment
- Educate the community about Colombian cultural heritage and current realities
- Celebrate Colombian cultural heritage
- Contribute to the improvement of Colombia and our local community.
SADCO accomplishes its vision by carefully selecting projects, making efficient use of resources and creating a mechanism to evaluate and sustain accomplishments.
- Membership: all family and individual members
- Board of Directors
- Executive Committee
- Standing Committees
Standing Committees work on behalf of the organization to accomplish the following:
- Education: Improve educational opportunities and manage the scholarship program.
- Cultural: Organize lectures, presentations, exhibits and other events to offer opportunities for the community to learn about Hispanic culture in general and Colombian culture in particular. Cooperate with the Social Committee to help organize all SADCO events.
Social: Organize all the social events:
- Membership Meeting
- Picinic to celebrate Colombian Independence Day (July-August)
- Participation in Fiesta Indianapolis (September)
- SADCO Gala to celebrate the Independence Day of Cartagena (November-December)
- Novenas (December)
- Children’s Christmas Party (December)
Community Improvement Committee: Select, organize and implement projects for community improvement.
- Finances: Find and manage financial resources for SADCO.
- Public Relations: Develop and implement strategies to promote SADCO as a credible, reliable and effective Hispanic community-based organization.